Featured Post

Click Here for Excerpts (and Reviews) for New Book

Saturday, February 9, 2008

The Steven Wright stuff

Always nice when you can get a coupple of chuckles with the morning paper with snow spitting outside. Tomorrow's New York Times, delivered at home today, has a little profile of comedian Steven Wright, and includes one of his latest deadpan lines: "I walked into a diner that had a sign that read, 'Breakfast, anytime.' So I ordered French toast from the Renaissance."

Meanwhile, in the Saturday paper, Gail Collins, who has been pretty funny lately (without the Dowd bile) on the campaign offers this: "Losing Mitt Romney from the presidential race is not just a matter of another Republican biting the dust. It’s all those dozens and dozens of future incarnations that we may never have a chance to meet. I was hoping that someday we’d get a Libertarian Mitt, or maybe a cowboy.

"Worst of all, I’m going to have to get through the rest of the year without ever again referring to the fact that Romney once drove to Canada with the family dog, Seamus, strapped to the roof of the car." She returns to this for the close: "All I know is somewhere in doggie heaven, an Irish setter is laughing."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

" includes one of his latest deadpan lines: "I walked into a diner that had a sign that read, 'Breakfast, anytime.' So I ordered French toast from the Renaissance.""

Jeez, I hate to be a sourpuss (and reveal my advanced age)but that line goes back at least thirty years. I heard it as "scrambled eggs in the Rennaissance" but the change to French toast doesn't make it new.

PS: I Love Stephen Wright anyway.