Featured Post

Click Here for Excerpts (and Reviews) for New Book

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

That Spahn-Marichal 16-inning scoreless duel

Was happy to see NY Times' sports story today on this, since I have been telling the story for years and always feared everyone thought I was exaggerating. But it's true (as I remembered it from when I was boy): Two great Hall of Famers, young Juan Marichal and geezer Warren Spahn (he was 42) pitched deep into night with no score until my man, Willie Mays, broke it up with a 16th inning HR. They must have thrown 200 pitches, back when men were men. In a beautiful bit of irony, the Times carried in its print edition right below this story a picture of Jaba Chamberlain, the Yankees pitcher, who is half the age of Spahnie -- and threw all of 70 pitches yesterday.

No comments: