Featured Post

Click Here for Early Reviews of My Book--and My New Blog

Sunday, October 16, 2016

The Parts Left Out of the Springsteen Memoir

Mother Jones just published my piece on how Springsteen (and Bowie) helped bring down the Berlin Wall, derived from my new book, The Tunnels.  So allow me to reflect further:

Forty-four years ago this December I got a phone call at my office at the legendary Crawdaddy, where I served as #2 editor for nearly the entire 1970s, that would change my life, for several years, anyway.  It was from a fast-talking dude named Mike Appel, inviting me to catch his top (and only) act in a press event/concert upstate,  the following day, December 7, 1972,  in notorious...Sing Sing Prison.  The act was a total unknown whose debut album had not yet been released, by the name of Bruce Springsteen. 

With editor Peter Knobler,  I drove up to the prison with Bruce--we were the only two from the NYC press who bothered to show up.  Then after two weeks of hanging out with Bruce and the band, and attending half a dozen club gigs (as one of the very few audience members),  I helped create the very first magazine piece about Brucie--and 8,000 words, at that--written by Peter for Crawdaddy.  We even put his name on the cover.  Then, a year later,  I hailed his second album in a major review.  What was significant about all of this:  Most in the press were reacting to Bruce in a lukewarm (at best) fashion at that time and his record company was considering dropping him--until Crawdaddy doubled down, and then Jon Landau offered his crucial "I've seen the future of rock 'n roll" blurb.

Many other Crawdaddy pieces--and dozens of concert  dates--would follow and Bruce would become a friend for a number of years.  He even let me write a book at his house when he was away.  The self-described non-driver helped drive me to a gig in my hometown of Niagara Falls.  Before the fabled Time and Newsweek examples, Crawdaddy gave him his first magazine cover, again a profile written by Knobler.

For whatever reason, Bruce does not mention any of this in his new memoir.  (His only reference to Sing Sing is in a long list of odd places Appel had him play the following year.)   Still, a gold record for Born to Run hangs on my wall.  He did write the preface to my book on Iraq and the media, So Wrong for So Long, in 2007.   And just this past June, his management gave me four free tickets for his concert in Berlin. 

Bruce even figures in my new book on escape tunnels under the Berlin Wall, where he performed to his largest crowd ever a year before the Wall fell.  It's an amazing story in all regards.

Here's (below) a little video about the day I met Bruce in December 1972--in Sing Sing--which also includes excerpts from his very early live performances, including the acoustic  "Growin' Up".   Photo above from December 1972, days after the Sing Sing gig, with me across the table (photo by Ed Gallucci). 

1 comment:

Debbie Carter, Literary Agent said...

I didn't know that Sprinsteen played Sing Sing. He sounds great! Is the footage from Sing Sing and Kenny's Castaways? Who filmed it?