Featured Post

Click Here for Excerpts (and Reviews) for New Book

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Bachmann Family Values

Frank Bruni in an amazing Sunday column for the NYT chats with Michele Bachmann's step-sister, who is gay, and deeply pained by their split on gay rights and gay marriage.   She wants to marry her longtime partner named Nia.
When Michele spoke at a State Senate hearing in 2006 about her desire for a constitutional amendment against same-sex marriage, Helen showed up, along with several relatives who supported her.
“I wasn’t looking to make a public statement,” she told me. “I just thought: I’m going to go there and sit there so she has to look at me. So she has to look at Nia. I wanted her to see: this is who you’re doing this to. It’s not some anonymous group of people. It’s not scary people. It’s me. It’s Nia.” She paused, because she’d begun to sob.

No comments: