Featured Post

Click Here for Excerpts (and Reviews) for New Book

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Sunday Morning in the Church of Beethoven

For my weekly feature:  One of my Christmas presents (from spouse) was the acclaimed new book about LvB's Fifth Symphony--no, it's actually about just the famous first four notes.  You've heard them a 1000 times but perhaps not played only on piano, and by Glenn Gould no less (though I prefer his rendition of the Pastoral Symphony).  My Beethoven book, with Kerry Candaele.

1 comment:

Laurence Glavin said...

A little over a year ago, musicologist Harvey Sachs published "The Ninth:Beethoven and the World in 1824" which I did read earlier this year. Now we have this book, which I expect to read soon. Mr. Guerrieri appeared on the Diane Rehm show on numerous NPR-affiliated radio stations. It's available online by first going to www.dianerehm.org then clicking on December 18th (a new calendar will probably appear soon! Where did 2012 go?) Two subjects for that date will appear; the discussion of Beethoven's Fifth occurred in the second hour. If you download the audio, the caller designated as Laurence from Boston is NOT from Boston, but 25 miles north, but no matter, I got in a comment about a 3-repeated-note-followed-by-a-lower-sustained note in the Opus 17 sonata for French Horn and Piano. Mr. Guerrieri will appear at the 92Y Tribeca in New York City at noon on Tuesday January 22nd (there's a $21 charge; do you get the book too?). Almost a week earlier, on Thursday January 17th, he'll appear FOR FREE at the Rabb Lecture Hall of the Boston Public Libray at 6:00 pm. I'll start saving my quarters right now, pahking fees run until 8:00 pm in that paht of Bosron.