Featured Post

Click Here for Excerpts (and Reviews) for New Book

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Did a 'NYT' Reporter Get 'Deep Throat' Fired?

Interesting interview at the Princeton alumni site with longtime D.C. insider William Ruckelshaus, a former deputy attorney general who resigned in the so-called "Saturday Night Massacre" during the Watergate scandal.  He recalls that when he was running the FBI he fired Mark Felt, the #2 guy, over alleged leaks to the Nixon White House--after getting tipped off by a reporter from the NYT.  Now, whether it was actually that reporter or someone claiming that is not known for sure.  Here's the excerpt:
Stories about information obtained from the wiretaps continued to appear in the Times, so obviously there was a leak somewhere in the FBI. I received a call from a man who identified himself as a reporter who was writing these stories for the Times. He said, “I suppose you’re wondering where these leaks are coming from. Well, they’re coming from Mark Felt.”
 I confronted Felt the next day. He denied being the source of the story, but I told him I had the information on good authority and didn’t believe his denials. He had violated every stricture at the FBI about the sanctity of information in their possession, that you don’t release that to the media, ever. The next morning, Felt had his resignation on my desk, which I took as an admission of guilt. Years later, Max Holland interviewed me for a book he was writing about Felt. Holland told me he didn’t think I had actually been talking to the Times reporter.

No comments: