Featured Post

Click Here for Excerpts (and Reviews) for New Book

Monday, March 17, 2014

Cool Waters

Pink Floyd and solo star Roger Waters takes to Salon to defend his support for the BDS movement against Israel (or for Palestinians, if you prefer).   After opening by paying tribute to his father, a former pacifist who died fighting the Nazis in World War II, he offers:
I like to think that I pay tribute to both my parents each time I speak out in support of any beleaguered people denied the freedom and justice that I believe all of us deserve.
After visiting Israel in 2005 and the West Bank the following year, I was deeply moved and concerned by what I saw, and determined to add my voice to those searching for an equitable and lawful solution to the problem – for both Palestinians and Jews.
Given my upbringing, I really had no choice.
In 2005, Palestinian civil society appealed to people of conscience all over the world to act where governments had failed. They asked us to join their nonviolent movement – for Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions (BDS) – which aims to end Israel’s occupation of the Palestinian territories, to secure equal rights for Palestinian citizens of Israel, and to uphold the right of Palestinian refugees to return to the cities and villages they were violently forced out of in 1948 and 1967.
That's just the start, so read on. 

No comments: