Featured Post

Click Here for Excerpts (and Reviews) for New Book

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Going for the Denk

I hate to say, told you so,  but...More than four years ago I caught a youngish, if largely unknown,  NYC pianist named Jeremy Denk in a recital doing my man Beethoven's "Hammerklavier" and Ives' great "Concord" sonata.  I'd already come across his witty blog (not exactly common in classical music) called "Think Denk," which included, among other things, a fake interview with....Sarah Palin.  Later I was there as he became somewhat better known and played LvB's final sonata at Lincoln Center--and interviewed him for a full Q & A in my book with Kerry Candaele, Journeys With Beethoven (tied to our new film).

Since then, as today's major NYT article makes clear, he has gone on to write for The New Yorker, and get a book deal out of that; gain major bookings all over; win a MacArthur "genius" award and other biggies; and now write a "comic opera" starring Beethoven and Mozart.

But to read that Q & A:  you'll have to purchase that book!  For now, perhaps the two greatest pieces for piano....

No comments: