Featured Post

Click Here for Excerpts (and Reviews) for New Book

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Greatest June Music?

Of course, asked to choose, you will probably pick some year from your teenage or maybe college years.   I'm going with 1965, which I was 17, so that fits right in.  However, I'd like to think that I have a better case than most, since the two greatest singles of all-time, as selected by Rolling Stone a few years, both came out that summer.  This, of course, would be "Satisfaction" and "Like a Rolling Stone."  Others songs from that summer included the Four Tops' "I Can't Help Myself, " the Byrds' "Mr. Tambourine Man,"  Otis's "I've Been Loving You Too Long," "Help Me Rhonda," and on and on.  Amazingly the most popular song for the entire year, according to Billboard, was not one of those, or one of several Beatles or Beach Boys classics, or mega-hit "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling" but..."Wooly Bully"!

No comments: