Featured Post

Click Here for Excerpts (and Reviews) for New Book

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Get On Down

Man who worked for James Brown at two of his radio stations in the late-'60s and early '70s in article calls him not the hardest working man in show business but biggest "asshole" in show business.  The other side of the new Get On Up flick.   From trailers and reviews, it seems film paints Brown as a true "progressive" but my memory from those years--beyond the important"I'm Black and I'm Proud"-- has him as mainly an establishment Democrat who backed the war and then a Nixon Republican.  "James Brown’s relationship to the Black people he touched most directly – those who worked for him – was cruel, petty, and contemptuous. South Carolina-born actor Chadwick Boseman's performance sometimes made me think I was looking at a ghost – except that Boseman is too tall and Brown’s malice was inseparable from his short stature."   h/t @Bbedway

No comments: