Featured Post

Click Here for Excerpts (and Reviews) for New Book

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Four Quartets, Two Masterpieces

Incredible, once-in-a-lifetime experience last night in NYC, attending great Brit actor Stephen Dillane "performing" T.S. Eliot's "Four Quartets" in very small theater -- followed by Miro Quartet doing work that inspired Eliot on that, Beethoven's opus 132, with the unearthly "Heiliger Dankesang" movement. It's repeated tonight so google it for details. Dillane was tremendous, despite one cell phone interruption and the Beethoven unreal. Added spice: Kate Winslet and Sam Mendes in the house. Kate looked very much herself, very blonde, and surprisingly short. Here's Willem Dafoe doing 4 minutes of the "Four Quartets" from a rooftop about two blocks south of my office.

1 comment:

Dina said...

I'd walk barefoot from this end of the planet to the other to see Mr. Dillane perform anything, and loving Eliot as well this was such an incredible treat to have land in my backyard. I went to Thursday's - no cell phone interruption. Simply brilliant and so enjoyable to behold the whole evening's performances. I read reviews mentioning the cell phone. What a pity, in Thursday's uninterrupted I saw what a transforming experience the reading was start to end, but I am sure it was still beautiful even with a wee stutter. I imagine he handled it with grace. But now it makes sense why they kept especially hammering us re: turning off cell phones at every opportunity (and crowbarring it in a few more times beyond that).