Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Film Mavens' Poll Razes "Kane"

The respected Sight & Sound poll of over 800 critics and academics around the world who (somehow) pick and rank the greatest films of all-time produced a kind of mini-shock today:  after 50 years at the top, Orson Welles' Citizen Kane got dumped, replaced by Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo.  Myself, I very much prefer Hitch's North By Northwest in the same period, but in any event I would place Dr. Strangelove or Seven Samurai (#17) or one or two others at #1.  UPDATE:  Roger Ebert analyzes the results here.

Kubrick's wildly overrated 2001 places #7 here while there's no Strangelove or Paths of Glory.   Mulholland Drive #28--really?  And not Abel Gance's NapoleonTokyo Story #3 and no IkiruTaxi Driver, Apocalypse Now and The Godfather (both I and II) all make the cut.  Where's anything more recent such as The Lives of Others? See and argue with the top 50 and commentary, all here.


SpeechNerd said...

Hi Mr. Mitchell. I apologize this post does not relate to the topic I am posting on. It is in regards to this article. . I read you got your hands on a NYT 9/11 morning newspaper. I'm doing a speech/debate project and need a copy of it. Would you be able to tell me how you came upon the newspaper? Thank you so much.

twinlorna said...

The Greatest Film of all time --- 'Battle of Algiers'(1966)
Honest,detailed and so real it could be mistaken for a documentary.

twinlorna said...

The Sight and Sound list has only 2 by Kurosawa (7 Samurai and Rashomon)
I would have included 'Red Beard',perhaps my fave from the greatest Director/Actor team in film history.