Help this blog survive--and keep it ad-free--by buying one of my books, below right.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Your Daily Leonard

Continuing my series of tributes to Mr. Cohen as I read the fine new bio: Now up to period in his life in early 1990s when, despite success of two comeback lps, he suddenly escaped to a Zen monastery on Mt. Baldy in L.A. and became a...monk.   Before that, his then-girlfriend, actress Rebecca deMornay (he had attended the Oscars with her, if you can imagine that, or if can't, see photo at left) directed this music video for his great "Closing Time."   Like Leonard, I lift my glass to the awful truth / which you can't reveal to the ears of youth/ except to say it isn't worth a dime.  "Looks like freedom, but it feels like death"--provide your own examples.

No comments: