Featured Post

Click Here for Excerpts (and Reviews) for New Book

Friday, March 2, 2018

My Best Films of the Year 2017

Every year for many I have posted my list here starting about this time in December--then update it into  January and February as I see most of the top Christmas season releases.  So the list always changes quite bit before it's "final" next month.  UPDATED on Oscars night:  Here's what I've got as possible final, and in approximate order.    I judge this as an especially weak year for American movies with many good and heartening "breakthroughs" but not great films. 

--The Insult (Lebanon)
--The Florida Project
--Jane (doc)
--A Fantastic Woman (Chile)
--Faces Places (doc)
--Maudie
--Wind River
--Lady Bird
--Joan Didion (doc)
--In the Fade (Germany)
--The Unknown Girl (France)
--Land of Mine (Denmark)
--3 Billboards
--The Big Sick

--The Post
--Mudbound
--Get Out
 --Bang!  The Bert Berns Story (doc)
--Dunkirk
--Their Finest
--Risk  (doc)
--Loving Vincent  (doc)
--Kedi (doc)